GH And Petey's Timberwolves Blog

Monday, November 01, 2004

Spree Demands Trade

So, I knew that the Spree contract extension talks weren't necessarily going that well, but I had no idea they were breaking down as much as it sounds from the following article:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/511/5061836.html

Juciest quote goes to this beauty right here straight from the mouth of Sprewell (in case you need a preview as motivation to click the link above):

"Why would I want to help them win a title? They're not doing anything for me. I'm at risk. I have a lot of risk here. I got my family to feed. Anything could happen."

He's nearing the twilight of his career making max money and is clearly not a max player. In fact, the Knicks have been overpaying him for years when he wasn't nearly as old. Unless he can get the Knicks to take him back and grossly overpay him *again*, it sounds like he may be a BIG problem for the T-wolves this season. The one thing I have feared is that chemistry issues and not enough ball to go round may have a disasterous effect.

So, can the T-wolves get anything good for Wally, Spree, possibly Kandi and spare parts? They'd need to get at least a good big man and scorer in the trade and unfortunately there really aren't any good big men available. They have most of the pieces they need to get to the 'ship but really need a force down low to help KG out and give them a low post offensive and defensive presence. If there is one area where I think KG is less than stellar it's down low. He *still* gets pushed off the low block and while he's a beast at rebounding and blocking shots the defense could turn Piston-like with a defensive minded center (a la Benny Wallace) who could provide the forceful intimidation and bulk that KG can't supply. However, who's out there that fits this bill?

Anyway, I think this is a serious problem that is developing with Spree who already clashes with Wally at the small forward position.

The good news is that I don't think he'll try to choke Flip with KG around.

Stay tuned ... hopefully McHale can swing a brilliant trade or can get Spree to buy-in to what the T-wolves are all about.