GH And Petey's Timberwolves Blog

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

I Picked a Bad Year to Start A Twolves Blog

You know, there are only so many ways I can say "What the hell is wrong with my team?"

I'm really getting sick of it. The Wolves blow another game where they had a huge lead, and unfortunately, these embarrassing losses are becoming the rule, rather than the exception. The Wolves had a big lead for most of the game only to get outscored 38-20 in the fourth quarter. For most of the game I was actually having flashbacks and thought I was watching last year's team.

In the Wolves' defense, it seemed as though they played well. The Lakers hit everything from long range down the stretch. They finished shooting a ridiculous 16-35 (45.7%) from three point range. And during the fourth quarter, everybody and their mother hit a three for the Lakers. First it was "Who's that guy?" draining a three, then "That guy wasn't even that good in college" started nailing them, and finally "I didn't even know he had a jumpshot" scored from downtown.

Unfortunately, at this point the Twolves need to stop getting moral victories and start getting actual victories. They need to build big leads and turn them into bigger leads--leads so big that they can't possibly blow them. Instead of me saying "What the Wolves can take from this game is that Troy Hudson played very well", they need me to say"What the Wolves can take from this game is that they won and it's their 7th win in 8 games".

When I first started this blog, I figured I'd spend a lot of time writing about the diverse talent on the Wolves roster and would spend plenty of time explaining why the Wolves were the best team in the league. A bit more than two months into the season, I've spent most of my time trying to figure out what exactly is the major problem with the wolves. I feel a bit cheated, like I didn't get what I signed on for. I can only imagine what KG and many of the other Wolves are feeling right now.

What the Wolves can take from this game is that Troy Hudson played very well. In game two without Sam, here's how the Wolves point guards faired.


MinPtsAstsTOs+/-
Thud332060-7
AC15231-7

If Troy can have more outings like this, and the Wolves get Sam back, I have to assume that the Wolves will at least get lucky and win again sometime. They've shown some signs of their talent during the past couple weeks, they just haven't been able to put it all together.