GH And Petey's Timberwolves Blog

Monday, February 14, 2005

What Did You Expect?

Did you actually expect that having McHale at the helm would instantly chance our team? Did you expect that somehow, it would help us beat a team like the Bulls?

Somewhere--deep down--I kinda did.

Instead it's just the same shit on a different day. There was a Sports Nation Poll over at ESPN.com that asked some pretty good questions. I figure I'd take a look at it and answer the questions more in depth. (my answers in bold)

1) Did Flip Saunders get a raw deal?

69.1%Yes
30.9%No

He lost complete control of the team and if it looked like there was a core nucleus that would be around for a while, it might have been right to fire him. However, the team is going to get revamped heavily in the offseason and Flip did a good job building the team up last time, I have no reason to doubt he would do it again. Did I mention none of this was his fault?

2) Who is most to blame for the Timberwolves' recent slide?

59.6%Latrell Sprewell
20.9%Sam Cassell
13.4%Other
6.0%Flip Saunders

He's become a cancer. Spree and Sam started this season off on the wrong foot with thier complaints about not getting extensions, then didn't back up all their talk that they deserved big contracts by performing. I blame Spree heavily for everything that's happened to the Wolves this year. I hope nobody signs him next year.

3) Will the Minnesota Timberwolves rebound and make the playoffs this season?

54.8%Yes
45.2%No

I doubt it. Kevin McHale is not the answer. If I were to give a percentage, I'd say 40%.

4) Where will Saunders land?

45.1%Elsewhere
25.8%Lakers
16.9%Knicks
12.2%A college team

Who can really give a good answer to a question like this? I pretty much just guessed. I could seen him doing a really good job with a young team like the Lakers and turning them into a solid team like the Wolves. The big question would be whether or not he could deal with Kobe's super-ego.

Based on what happened with the Wolves this season, I'd say the Knicks are probably not as good a fit. He'll be somewhere in the NBA though, I can pretty much guarantee that.

5) How will Kevin McHale fare as a head coach?

63.1%He'll finish season with above .500 record
32.5%He'll struggle mightily
4.4%He'll make Red Auerbach proud

There was no "He'll basically do as well as Flip did" answer, so I went with the closest thing. He may boost performance slightly, but he won't make a major difference.

6) It has been reported that Cassell and Sprewell questioned the extra freedom that Saunders gave Kevin Garnett. What is your reaction?

70.7%KG deserves it. He was the only guy playing 100 percent.
19.3%I can see both sides.
10.0%It's wrong to treat one player better than another. It's a team.

Sam and Spree, would you guys please shut the hell up and just play?


7) What are the chances of Phil Jackson becoming the next Timberwolves head coach?

47.9%Doubt it
19.9%No way
18.3%50-50
9.0%Good
5.0%Very good

I don't know how these rumors get started so quickly. I could see Phil being a decent coach for the Timberwolves. However, if we get a bunch of new younger players, I don't think it would be ideal. Phil tends to take solid veteran teams and turn them into championship teams. He would have done great with last year's team. They'd have a perfect three for running the triangle offense. I don't know if he'd have the patience to deal with what the Wolves will have to do though.

Toey also said something about Larry Brown. I think he would be a better choice, but I would be surprised to see him here as well. I think he'd opt for retirement rather than take a job here.

8) Who was your preseason pick to win the Northwest Division?

84.2%Minnesota
6.8%Seattle
6.3%Denver
2.1%Utah
0.7%Portland

6.8% said Seattle? Damn there are a lot of liars around. Nobody had a reason to pick anybody other than Minnesota unless they were heavily biased. If you didn't choose the Wolves for some reason, the Nuggets were the next obvious choice. Nobody else looked like they'd even have a chance. I'll probably write a division in review thing later this week.

9) If the Timberwolves can squeeze out a playoff spot, how far will they advance?

58.7%Lose first round
28.6%Second round
6.5%Conference finals
5.7%Win NBA championship
0.6%Lose NBA Finals

If we do manage to make the playoffs, we have a major problem because we'll likely be the 8-seed. This means the Spurs and instant death. 7- or 6-seed are no picnic either. If the Wolves somehow can jump way up the ladder to the 5-seed, I'd pick them to go far. Not only would they get a much weaker opponent in the first-round, it would mean that we had won a ton of games and were playing exteremely well.